Thursday, October 8, 2009

Vegan junk food substitutes for dead animal junk food

I’m getting a lot of questions about vegan substitutes for standard kid snacks.


I will tell you some of what we’ve tried and tested. Kids aren’t stupid. If it isn’t yummy and equally cool, forget it.


With that in mind, here are some winners in our family.



Instead of Soft Batch Cookies (for the chocolate chip) or other cookies (for the rest), try Uncle Eddie's Vegan Cookies.


These cookies are awesome and come in flavors like

  • Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
  • Chocolate Chip
  • Oatmeal Raisin
  • Peanut Butter
  • Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip (pictured)
  • Trail Mix


Trader Joe’s has their own brand of these for less money…Same cookies!


YUMMY!



Instead of Gummy Bears, try Annie's Organic Bunny Fruit Snacks


These are bunnies instead of bears, but my kids don’t really care.


Of special note, Annie makes a giant pack around Halloween time, so you can spread the vegan gelatin alternative love around to kids everywhere! YAY!!!


At Whole Foods Market, you can also find vegan gummy worms (rolled in sugar even) and things like that. Really, anything your rotting teeth desire. La la la.


Instead of Oreo’s, which are full of trans fats and otherwise nasty ingredients, try Newman-O's. These are super tasty.


I made some vegan chocolate cupcakes and stirred crushed Newman-O’s into them…My kids are still singing my praises.


We also tried the gluten-free variety recently. I must admit…not nearly as tasty…but if you need to be wheat free, they’ll do.


Instead of Mac & Cheese, try Road's End Organics with "Chreese"


On this one, my children like the gluten-free flavors better for some reason. I don’t love the cheddar, but they think it’s divine.


The alfredo is pretty convincing. I like to stir in broccoli or chopped kale.


Sometimes, if I'm really feeling like giving them that 70s feel, I slice veggie dogs and stir them in...Mac & Weenies! Weeeee!


(Play Bee Gee's while cooking and consuming)



Instead of Goldfish, try Eco-Planet Cheddar Organic Crackers.


My kids like these because they come in four shapes instead of just one.


While newer COLOR goldfish has presented some serious competition with all of their artificial brightness, thus far, my children are satisfied with the orangeness of these crackers.


Later, we can chat about how most mainstream food companies used crush bugs to bring you those pretty orange and red colors in "naturally colored" foods and drinks. No, I am not kidding!



Instead of ice cream made from cow milk, try these taste bud miracle delights!


Our friends in Seattle turned us on to this Coconut Bliss stuff.
OMG YUMMY HEAVEN. It tastes so creamy and fantastic....AND it comes in many great flavors. You just have to try it! EVEN if you are sure you're addicted to cow breastmilk.


It is high in saturated fat, but has zero cholesterol. How is this possible? Well, it turns out that the experts studying saturated fat from plant food are (gee…am I surprised?) finding out it is actually good for you. The saturated fat in animal products (just like the protein) remains, as always, not good for you.


So, you can actually enjoy your fatty, creamy ice cream. Oh, AND it’s sweetened with agave. Diabetic heaven in a pint container!


There are so many flavors…It’s amazing. I will say, if you hate coconut, you can taste a hint of it in some flavors. I do know several people who don’t like coconut, but who still love many flavors of this ice cream. You'll have to experiment if you're coconut-sensitive to see which ones you like.


An alternative is Purely Decadent and So Delicious Coconut Milk products. They also make soy products (not as yummy, unless chocolate, in my opinion). The cool thing about these people is they have yogurt, creamer and things like ice cream sandwiches, in addition to the ice cream. They have a mint chip that is to die for and a gluten-free (seriously!) cookie dough ice cream that is ridiculously tasty!


I also just found out Rice Dream is making bonbons (although I have yet to see them). SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!! Oh daytime TV heaven (kidding).


Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of Rice Dream, but I know people who are. You have to be adventurous. If you have a Whole Foods Market, they guarantee everything they sell, so if you don't like it, you can just get your money back. How great is that?


AGAIN…I’m not saying this is the most healthy way to be a vegan. These foods should be eaten in moderation, OF COURSE. I’m just saying, if you have children and you want them to have things that are equally tempting as the other kid snacks out there, but you can't stomach the thought of some of the nasty dead things, antibiotics, hormones, pus, growth hormones, crushed bugs and so on going into your precious, developing little love children…here are some fun options.


Toodles!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Thanks for this, Christe. Uncle Eddie's are my FAVORITE. I hide them from the children! I had no idea Trader Joe's made them, too. Might have to head to the other side of town for those!

Click THIS BANNER for my Freelance Portfolio